Presidents’ Day is coming and with it comes a great time for many fun activities and learning about our nations’ Leaders of the past. Here are some ideas for the classroom that students will enjoy….
- Engage students in a discussion about what they know about the job of being the President of the United States. What do they think is most important?
- Hold a mock classroom debate on the topic of Presidential term limits. Are they a good idea? Why or why not?
- President for a Day- Students imagine they are President for a day! What would they do? What would their day be like?
- Creating a timeline about all the Presidents of the United States
- Creating a new monument for a past President
- Presidential Powers- Students discuss the powers of the President and then write down an idea for a new power for the President of the United States.
- Presidents picture book- Students can create a picture book of their favorite Presidents with illustrations and explain the reasons for the choice of favorites.
- Presidents’ name Word Search / Word Scramble
- Follow the Leader- Have the students split into teams and try to arrange photos of the Presidents in chronological order
- Presidents’ Day Crafts- Students can create cotton ball wigs, flags, Washington’s cherry tree, Lincoln’s hat??
These are just a few ideas….Have fun celebrating and learning about the Leaders of our great country.